Faculty Code of Conduct
Faculty Code of Conduct
Teaching is the calling of professionally sound and ethically mature and conscientious individuals. The on-campus conduct of faculty has tremendous impact on students. Few professions need as stringent a code of ethics as the community of teachers because they are entrusted with the task of educating and caring for the future generation of a nation. An ethically deficient faculty member, however otherwise knowledgeable and skilled, is a liability rather than an asset. In other words, true education with ethical underpinnings, takes place at the hands of teachers who are not only competent and professionally well-versed, but are also morally upright. The public pins high hopes on the profession of education, reposing in it a trust and responsibility, demanding the highest ideals of professional service.
Code of conduct helps faculty to focus on meeting the needs of students, fulfilling the societal obligations, promoting their professional community and contributing to promotion of knowledge, discovery and innovation. It provides teachers with guidelines for their conduct on campus: how to strive for professional excellence, exercise sound judgment, establish credibility in professional work, and how to enable the nation’s future citizens to succeed. Besides the teaching staff, the code of conduct applies to support staff as well.
Northwest Institute of Health Sciences (NIWHS) attaches great importance to the moral soundness of its teaching corps at all tiers. The Institute expects its teaching faculty to demonstrate highest standards of professional and moral conduct. It is hoped that the following code of conduct will serve for them as a compass to measure up to the demands of their profession which confers on them the title of ‘nation-builders’.
Every NIWHS faculty member shall believe in the worth and dignity of human beings. Besides recognizing the importance of the pursuit of truth and devotion to excellence, he or she shall, in compliance of these essential goals, strive to protect the freedom to learn and to teach, ensuring equal educational opportunity for all. The faculty member shall accept the responsibility to abide by these ethical standards, together with recognizing the magnitude of obligations accompanying his/ her choice of career in education
Pursuit of high academic standards calls for a pool of individuals with high skills, intellect, integrity, wisdom, and compassion. The faculty member shall demonstrate good moral character, maintain high standards of performance, and promote equality of opportunity.
In compliance of his / her contractual and professional responsibilities, the faculty member shall:
- accept responsibility or employment only on the basis of
- strive to become and remain proficient in professional practice, keeping current with emerging knowledge relevant to the profession
- avoid discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, colour, sex, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, political belief, religion, immigration status, or mental or physical
- avoid participating in or be associated with all acts of dishonesty, fraud, or deception.
- work toward the maintenance and promotion of high standards of professional
- uphold and advance the values, ethics, knowledge, and mission of the profession.
- contribute time and professional expertise to activities that promote respect for the value, integrity, and competence of the
- critically examine and keep up with current emerging knowledge relevant to their profession and fully use evaluation and research in their professional
- not use coercive means, or promise or provide special treatment to students, colleagues, Institute administration in order to influence professional decisions.
- not make any fraudulent statement or conceal or suppress a material fact for which he/she is responsible.
- take responsibility and credit, including authorship credit, only for work they have actually performed and to which they have
- honestly acknowledge the work of and the contributions made by
- be alert to and avoid conflicts of interest that interfere with the exercise of professional discretion and impartial
- refrain from taking unfair advantage of any professional relationship or exploit others to further their personal, religious, political, or business
- not solicit private information from students unless it is essential to providing services.
- keep shared private information confidential, except for compelling professional
- provide students reasonable access to the records of their academic performance
- not sexually harass students, allied teaching staff or other employees of the Institute. (Sexual harassment includes sexual advances, sexual solicitation, requests for sexual favours, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.)
- not use derogatory language in their written or verbal communications to or about
- not exploits professional relationships with students, colleagues, parents, Institute management for personal gain or private
- not falsely claim credit for the research, publication, innovation and research of others both in Pakistan and
- be mindful of following research principles and ethical standards in human
- maintain laboratory safety to avoid accidents to individuals and damages to equipment.
- report to the administration any violation of the rules contained in this section.
Cognizant of the fact that teaching profession exists for the purpose of serving the best interest of the student, the faculty member shall discharge his/her professional duties with genuine interest, concern, and consideration for the student. He/ she shall work to stimulate the spirit of inquiry, ignite the urge for acquisition of knowledge and understanding, and the thoughtful pursuit of worthy goals.
In fulfilment of the obligation to the student, the faculty member shall:
- acquire an understanding of human development and help contribute to holistic development of his/ her
- recognize students’ individual potential and help develop them in best possible manner
- conduct academic activities in accordance with sound educational practices that are in the best interest of the
- make reasonable effort to protect the student from conditions interfering with his / her learning process, as well as his/her mental and physical well-being.
- Not deliberately suppress or distort subject matter for the dissemination of which the faculty member is
- permit the student to pursue reasonable independent scholastic effort, and shall permit the student freedom to express his/ her different point of
- keep in confidence personally identifiable information that has been obtained in the course of professional service, unless disclosure serves professional purposes, or is required by
- treat all students fairly without any prejudice or discrimination on the basis of colour, race, gender, sect
- Not ridicule or demoralize the students for their academic
- avoid passing derogatory or indecent remarks on any
- set as role-model personal examples of integrity and
- Take out time to counsel and encourage students to overcome their academic deficiencies.
- not engage students assigned to his/her care for remuneration, unless approved by the administration
- show commitment and encourage students to engage in active citizenship
A harmonious professional environment is to the advantage of all stake-holders. To create a win-win situation, faculty members need to maintain a relationship of mutual respect and trust with other members of the community.
Building this environment entails following obligations on the part of faculty members, the faculty member shall:
- treat colleagues with respect and represent accurately and fairly the qualifications, views, and obligations of
- avoid unwarranted negative criticism of colleagues in communications with clients or with other professionals. (Unwarranted negative criticism may include demeaning comments with regard to colleagues’ level of competence or attributes such as race, ethnicity, national origin, colour, sex, age, marital status, political belief, religion, immigration status, and mental or physical disability.
- cooperate with colleagues and with colleagues of other professions to promote the interest of
- respect confidential information shared by colleagues in the course of their professional relationships and transactions, unless any disclosure is inevitable under exceptional
- (When engaged in interdisciplinary activities) participate in and contribute to such activities by drawing on the perspectives, values, and experiences of their
- (When the decisions of an interdisciplinary team raise ethical concerns) attempt to resolve the disagreement through appropriate
- seek the advice and counsel of colleagues whenever such consultation is in the best interests of the clients and the
- not indulge in sexual harassment (sexual advances, sexual solicitation, requests for sexual favours, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature) of subordinates, students, trainees, or colleagues over whom they exercise authority.
- (When directly aware of a colleague’s incompetence) consult with that colleague when feasible and assist him/ her in taking remedial
- take suitable action through appropriate channels if a colleague is believed to be incompetent and not willing to take steps to overcome his / her professional
- take adequate measures to discourage, prevent, expose, and correct the unethical conduct of
- defend and assist colleagues who are unjustly charged with unethical
The magnitude of responsibility associated with the profession of education requires on the part of a faculty member no less earnest effort in raising students’ understanding of and confidence in the rule of law, respect for individual freedom, and a responsibility to promote public respect for the integrity of the profession. In fulfillment of the obligation to the public, the faculty member shall :
- Not misrepresent an institution with which he/ she is associated with, and shall take all possible care to distinguish between his or her personal and institutional
- not use institutional privileges for private gain or to promote political candidates, political issues, sectarian, ethnic or partisan
- refrain from offering or accepting gifts or favours to protect the impartiality of his/her professional
- support the principle of due process and protect the citizenship, and natural rights of all
- not commit any act of moral turpitude, or commit any offence under the laws of Pakistan or any state or
- Attend with reasonable diligence to the duties and obligations of his or her professional
- ensure that public engagement effort is consistent with the Institute mission and
- Show respect and understanding to diversity when reaching out to community and try to benefit the community with
In the belief that the quality of the services to the teaching profession directly influences the nation and its citizens, the faculty member shall devote every effort to raise professional standards, to improve service, to promote a favourable climate for the exercise of professional judgment, and to bring about conditions holding out attraction for persons worthy of the trust to join careers in education. He/ she shall believe that sound professional relationships with colleagues are built upon personal integrity, dignity, and mutual respect. In addition, the faculty member shall regard the employment agreement as a pledge to be executed both in letter and spirit. He/she shall believe that sound personnel relationships with the administration are built upon personal integrity, dignity, and mutual respect.
In fulfillment of the obligation to the profession and the administration, the faculty member shall:
- not misrepresent his or her professional qualifications, or those of
- enter the profession only with proper certification, and shall actively help prevent the practice of the profession by persons known to be
- apply for, accept, offer, or assign a position or responsibility on the basis of professional preparation and legal
- not knowingly withhold information regarding a position from an applicant or employer, or misrepresent an assignment or conditions of
- adhere fully to the terms of a contract or
- give prompt notice to the employer of any change in availability of
- conduct professional business through designated procedures, when available, that have been approved by the
- not assign to unqualified personnel, tasks for which he/she is
- permit no commercial or personal exploitation of his or her professional
- use time on duty for furtherance of his/ her